This morning I was looking up recipes for a good hour until I was sufficiently starving. Lots of things looked good to me, but it wasn't until I hit strawberry paradise that I became totally inspired...and started to actually drool. With the onset of summer comes the blooming of strawberries, and I have to thank Martha Stewart for giving me some really awesome and delicious strawberry recipes to try. I think my sweet tooth will be sorely satisfied!
I ended up baking the strawberry cake. The room immediately filled with a delicious sweet scent. The cake came out perfectly golden brown with pops of bright red from the strawberries. It ended up tasting amazing, too! It was moist and sweet and tart, and the strawberries became a little juicier from being baked, which I personally love. All in all, it was the perfect dessert for Memorial Day Weekend.
The recipe is so simple and calls for items that are in your pantry anyway. The only thing I was missing was the strawberries.
Make sure you have a sifter for all of the powdery ingredients. You want your cake to be nice and fluffy.
Wash your strawberries! And don't forget to try a few in the process to "make sure that they're ripe."
Cut the stems off and halve your strawberries so that they can fit onto the cake better.
Place the strawberries as close together in your cake batter. It should look like a mosaic. Don't press the strawberries too deep into the batter, however, because you still want pops of red to be visible after it has been baked.
Put your cake in the oven and cook for about an hour!! Let the scent of strawberries and vanilla fill your kitchen.
It should come out something like this. The recipe I used called for a round pie pan that was a lot smaller than this pan that I had. I ended up making two batches of the cake batter and placing it in this pan, creating a much thicker (and more square) cake.
The most important part of this whole process is to enjoy your cake and have it too (with a scoop of vanilla ice cream).
No comments:
Post a Comment