Yesterday was Mother's Day and even though I could not be with my own Mom, I can still appreciate her from afar. In lieu of having brunch with Ma, I decided to spend my Sunday doing some spring cleaning. To reward myself, my boyfriend (who will hereon out be referred to as Jimmy) and I grabbed some frappuccinos and sandwiches, did a little extra shopping for office supplies, and then enjoyed the last few moments of sunshine playing Frisbee at dusk. Yes, spring finally has sprung which to me used to mean that I could finally wear fingertip length shorts to school even though the year was almost done, leaving me with some sort of sophomore-, junior-, or senioritis and allergies. I could not wait for summer to begin. Spring was just that short miserable time that would tease me with a warm breeze and an itch to be outside.
Now that I am an adult, a growing one at that, I do actually appreciate spring as well as many other simple things in life. Even though I don't have the hot springtime weather of California since I moved to Washington, I've noticed a lot more beauty around me. That could just be a result of me feeling constantly cooped up and bored though. Just kidding because I'm always very busy studying for school, right Mom and Dad? Anyway, I did actually spend more time at school today reading a novel in the library. I also got the chance to think about the small things that I really appreciate in my home right now that I would like to share with you.
This is Joon, as in "Benny and Joon." There used to be a Benny also, but tragedy struck last summer. Being a biology major, my parents thought it would be fun to get me a biosphere for Christmas a year or so back. It was honestly one of the greatest gifts ever. Even though I can't cuddle or play with Joon, my anticipation when waiting to receive my frogs in the mail was so high and my love for them, well, her, so great that it completely makes up for the fact. When I am home alone, Joon brings me a sense of tranquility. And she's probably one of the easiest pets to take care of. That's always a perk for someone who owns a battery operated stuffed cat and pretends it's real.
My growing collection of dental tools. I am oddly fascinated with teeth, so it's only natural to want to pursue a career in dentistry. I love cleaning my teeth obsessively, so I just had to pick up my tooth pick, scraper, and mirror with light from the store as well as keeping a constant supply of good quality toothbrushes and a "glam" floss holder.
Jimmy and I have had this problem where I've somehow lost rebate forms and he's lost insurance and registration documents. Not like either of those things are very important, but we decided the madness had to stop. It was time to get organized. Our apartment is small and we have a lot of precious belongings that just take up way too much space, so picking up a large file cabinet or even trying to find space in our drawers in the desk was not really an option. I opted for the cheaper and typical college student alternative of buying a plastic crate and some very colorful files. Hopefully we'll be able to sort all of our coupons in color coded folders, and only the bills will go missing from here on out.
My wannabe Ray-Ban Clubmasters. I've had my share of designer sunnies in the past, but I'm really good at breaking them. My dad saw these at the store and thought they were cool, so he bought them for me on the whim. Awesome! They're cute and cheap, well, free for me, and they do the job. I have really sensitive eyes or maybe the sun and I just don't get along because it also often makes me sneeze, so having sunglasses at all times is a must. Currently, I have at least five different pairs in Washington alone, but these are definitely my go-to and favorite pair.
A few weekends ago Jimmy and I went to a tulip festival. It was truly one of the prettiest sights I have ever seen. I let him, or maybe forced him, to be the photographer for the day, and this is probably my favorite picture that he captured. These weren't even the prettiest tulips that I saw at the festival, but this picture is so inspiring. The lighting, the colors, the angle. This photo captured the perfect spring day.
No comments:
Post a Comment