Last night, Jimmy and I decided to throw together a quick little drink and hors d'oeurves party because we thought people were coming over. Things didn't exactly go as planned. Not only did a limited amount of people show up, to the point that we decided to not even bust out the fancy drinks, they showed up late and not hungry or thirsty at all! Also, we almost had some unwanted "friends" come over, but luckily that did not happen. We were NOT trying to have our apartment sabotaged by police busting in because of a few rowdy hooligans that we did not know who my friend thought would be ok to invite over anyway.
Previous to the company ish, I probably made the biggest mess in the kitchen ever. I felt rushed and stressed as I was trying to whip four dishes together, two of which took an hour each, in less than two hours. That was my fault, though. Jimmy is a great listener and when he asked me when I wanted people over, he told everyone to come an hour earlier than I said. That left me with less time to cook and absolutely no time to clean myself up and look presentable. Thanks, doll, you're the best! That wasn't even the most helpful thing he did! He also continued to sit around on the couch watching a movie while I slaved in the kitchen frantically asking for help. Ok, ok, I'm not cutting him enough slack. He eventually pulled through and ended up making three grocery trips to the store for me to get things we forgot. I do have to thank him for that.
Now that I was sweating and running around our tiny kitchen trying to prepare too many things at the same time, you can imagine the perfect scenario for an accident, and an accident did happen. No, I did not burn myself or any of the food. No, I did not break a glass. Rather, I cut myself...cutting a stupid apple! How lame is that? I used to not be squeamish when it came to blood, but then I had a horrible experience when I was getting surgery when I was 15 that left me forever scarred, literally, and semi-terrified of blood. However, it has been nearly six years since that incident, so I'm pretty much back to not being squeamish when it comes to other people's blood. I still have flashbacks to my surgery when I see a cut on myself. So I was home alone with a seriously bloody finger waiting for Jimmy to come back from the grocery store. I think the only thing that prevented me from having a major heart attack was that I could not concentrate so much on my finger that wouldn't seem to stop bleeding and was focused on what time I was wasting bleeding when I should be cooking!
Even though it seemed like my night had a turn for the worst, at least the food turned out great! I ended up making stuffed mushrooms from a family recipe, hot spinach dip that was maybe a little too spinachy and could have used some more hot sauce, mini burrito wraps, and this amazing toffee apple dip! I wish wish wish wish wish I had pictures to share with you just so that you could see how great this apple dip was (and because I like graphics more than words), but I am going to share this super simple and super delish recipe with you:
TOFFEE APPLE DIP (a la Hooters <-- I know, right?)
You will only need a box of cream cheese, brown sugar, white sugar, toffee bits (or caramel bits), vanilla, and apple slices.
Mix in a bowl the package of cream cheese, about a half cup of brown sugar, about a third cup of white sugar, a teaspoon of vanilla, and as many toffee bits that your heart desires. Whisk all the ingredients together until the dip has a smooth and creamy texture. Let the dip chill and eat with apple slices.
There you have it. Super easy and inexpensive, and it tastes amazing!
Side Note: I bought a bag of hard caramel candies. To make them into chewable bits, I unwrapped a couple and smashed them up in a bag using a spoon. That was pretty fun considering that I was having a bad night. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment