Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Happy Halloween!

(Pumpkin my mom and sister carved.)

  Hello my blogging monsters!!  Today is Halloween and I hope you all have an exceptionally spooky day.  Today I plan on hanging out with the family and passing out candy in my pumpkin costume I made last year.  Since Halloween falls on a Monday, I really had to do all of my crazy celebrating over the weekend, but that also meant that I needed a costume.  I'm really into homemade costumes.  They seem way more fun and creative and, well, cuter.  This year, I had the ingenious idea of being a Taco Bell Mild Sauce packet.  Reallllllll classy, I know.  I made my costume about four hours prior to going out and hitting the town with my friends.  Here is my process:
  Sunday afternoon, I ran to the fabric store to buy the perfect Mild Sauce packet color, some elastic, and felt.  Once I got back home, I made sure to scale down my fabric so that it would fit my body comfortably while still maintaining a boxy shape.

  After cutting my fabric into a rectangular shape, I needed to make an elastic band to keep my tube top dress...up.  A tip for when you make any sort of elastic waistband: attach a safety pin to the elastic because it will make threading it through your hemmed off section way easier!

  After doing most of my sewing, cutting, and hemming, it was time for me to start decorating.  I used white adhesive felt to make my label, cut out black felt letters to create the logo, and used black puff paint to write one of those witty sayings that these sauce packets always have.



  After all my paint dried, it was time for me to sew up the side so that my little dress/packet could be complete.


1 comment: