Monday, July 18, 2011

California Here I Come...and Gone Continued: Birthday Edition

  My dad and I have our birthdays only two days apart, so we almost always celebrate together.  We do cake the same night and usually open presents then.  However, we like to get our own birthday dinners.  Dad chose to go to a Korean BBQ place, which was really neat because you cook your own meat and veggies.  Also, I'm not sure if I've had a lot of Korean food before, so it was nice to try some new things!


  The only downside to this was that it started to get really smokey and all of our clothes smelled like the aftermath of our food demolition.  It was still really tasty and fun to watch Dad enjoy his dinner so much.  We even got our waitress to sing happy birthday to him.  A funny thing that happened is that we said we had a birthday for Stanley, but they still sung, "Happy Birthday, Dear Derrick."  Uhhhh that's not even close, but Dad has bad luck and things like that ALWAYS happen to him.  Here's to another 50 years, Par!!!  May your misfortune never change because it's what makes you unique.

(Chowing down on good eats!)

(Sisters)

(Blow out the candle!)

(Spinning the birthday wheel.  He won a free lunch.)

(I think my sister is jealous.)

  After dinner, we went home and did cake and presents.  I don't really have that big of a sweet tooth even though I like to bake, but my dad REALLY doesn't have a sweet tooth, so he always makes me decide on what kind of cake to get for our birthdays.  My favorite when I was a kid was always chocolate with raspberry filling.  This year, I was feeling lemon because I really do love lemon squares and I thought it would be refreshing in the summer.  My aunt and mom went to the bakery earlier this week and came back telling me that there's no such thing as lemon cake.  I could not believe my ears!  Was I going crazy?  Is this for real?  No lemon cake?  What was I thinking about.  I was so disappointed and confused.  However, that night, my family brought out the cake and to my delight...it was lemon!  I was so thrilled and they thought it was so funny that they had tricked me.  Uhhhh I'm an idiot.  Of course lemon cake exists.  To make matters worse, we had letter candles to spell things out like "happy birthday" or "congrats," but the only letters we had were enough for my mom to spell out "Jasmine" and "boy".  So while the cake said, "Happy Birthdays Stan & Jasmine," our candles said "Jasmine Boy".  Woohoo.  At least the cake and coffee were delicious.


  Then it came time to open prezzies!  My dad got a sign that said "MANCAVE," but of course my mom had to give it a twist, so she made another little sign that said, "WO" because she always has to have her way.  No, but really.  She wants to be the most powerful woman in the world muahahahahhahahahaha.  Mom will probably hate me and spank me if she ever reads this and sees that I leaked her secret.  I also opened my gifts and it was the best thing ever.  Not only did I get teeth...ok wait, let me explain this first.  I got teeth because my family understands my passion for dentistry and fascination in everyone's noshers.  But these aren't just any teeth, they're actually a coin purse.  Kinda weird, but so is my family, so it makes sense and I love it.  Again, I'll have to get a snap of that to show you what I mean.  THE BEST GIFT EVER, however, was getting my iPad 2!!!!!!!  Holy Guac was I so excited!  I had wanted one for so long and it was finally mineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!   Wait, back it up, not only did I get the iPad 2, I got two iPad 2's!  One was from my family, and the other was from Jimmy.  Unfortunately, he was super disappointed when I told him and he said he was going to return that one, but I'm just so grateful that he at least thought about that and did that for me.  I owe him a big one because that it the nicest thing ever.  (He actually told me last night that his option number two in case the iPad didn't work out was to get me a kitten, so maybe I will soon have a new furry love in my life.)
  iPads are awesome.  Some people still think they're kinda useless and stupid, but not only are there so many cool apps and games, but I can download my textbooks on them too!  Imagine only having to carry around this super light iPad instead of lugging pounds of books to school everyday.  I can also do homework and take notes on my iPad!  Everything is there.  I don't think you guys have realized how happy I am about this.

(An example how my disease of word vomiting provides entertainment to all.  I said this and it shocked my family so much that my mom had to write it on this giant pad of paper for all to see.)

(Charlie likes celebrating as well, mainly for the cake.  And yes, those are "Aladdin" hats that we've had since my 6th birthday.)
  Later that weekend, Dad took us to Six Flags because that's what he wanted to do on his actual birthday.  It was such a fun day.  The weather was actually really moderate, which is perfect for walking around and eating bloaty foods in.  I used to love roller coasters when I was a kid, but I really must be getting old because they just make all my bones creak these days!  I'm just getting into my 20's too!  This is so sad, but I sucked it up for my cousin because she is a wild child!

  I think my favorite part about going to the amusement park was seeing all the aquatic exhibits.  We saw dolphins and sharks and seals and sea lions and fish and sting rays and blah blah blah.  It was enjoyable for me, ok?
(Ummm I'm actually really proud of this picture that I took.)





  Two days later it was my 21st birthday yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.  I spent the day being tired and sick for some reason, but quickly got over it in time to go out to dinner at BJ's with my friends.  It started off as being just a dinner with a few girl friends, but slowly turned into a rowdy bunch.  Naturally, they made me get something alcoholic and asked the waiter to bring out something special.  I remember leaving the house and my dad telling me that he hopes I get a free BJ...I'll let you think about that one.  BJ's is actually a pretty nice little brewery, but they can get down and dirty when need be.  The waiter brought out this pretty little thing that looked like dessert in a martini glass.  It was called a muffin diver, which is pretty much the male version of the BJ, if you get what I mean.  Oh boy, this was not looking good.  The catch to this was that I had to get the cherry at the bottom of the glass...without using my hands.  Yay me?  Everyone was waiting to see what would happen with cameras out and everything, and I mean everyone, including people waiting to be seated and children in the booth next to me.  Might as well get it over with, right?  I'll present to you a video and a few pictures my very nice friends took to save myself the embarrassment of reliving the experience:
(Picture courtesy of Chris Edwards)
  Yes, whipped cream got everywhere!  I thought I was having a good hair day too!  Wahhhh.  Later that night, actually, let's not talk about that night.  It got a little wild and was lots of fun.  Overall, pretty good 21st and the celebrations are still going! :)
(Kenniqua, Alyssa, and me - the original BJ's group.)


No comments:

Post a Comment