Monday, February 6, 2012

"The Jungle"

  It really is refreshing to dig your nose in a good book.  I'm really not a huge reader mainly due to the fact that it's actually something I really struggle with.  I like to think that I have a fairly sophisticated vernacular and an excellent grasp on the English language.  Actually, I just like language in general!  I have taken Spanish, Japanese, Italian, and know some German from when my mom was learning before she visited there for a business trip.  I am currently becoming familiar with French through culinary school.  Language is just easy for me to get.  I have never really struggled with any of these languages I have just mentioned.  So it's both interesting and frustrating that while I can speak and write fairly well, I have the WORST time reading. 
  However, sometimes you need a break from daily conversation to immerse yourself in something a little more creatively worded.  I have had a few apps on my iPad that allow me to download books, but it wasn't until tonight that I decided I was going to finally put them to good use.  I first downloaded a short story called "The New World" by Patrick Ness.  I stumbled upon this because I was searching for "A Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley.  I read the short fairly quickly.  It was an ok read, but I wanted something more engaging.  Then I remembered something I had been wanting to read for quite a long time - "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair.
  How fitting is that?  Well, actually, for those of you who don't know, this book is about the meat-packing industry.  I started to get into it tonight, but didn't get too far since I was running out of time before I was getting way too tired.  It just amazes me the way some people can write.  Even though this novel isn't particularly "pretty" as far as content goes, I still appreciate the variances in the vocabulary and syntax.  Lately I have been feeling like my mind isn't so sharp since I'm not in a very academic setting regularly.  I know that sounds pretty snooty, but I honestly do appreciate education and, most importantly, words. 
  Despite my inefficiency to read quickly, I am determined to surpass it someday by getting better through regular reading.  Since I'm new to this whole "enjoying a good read" thing, if any of you have suggestions for something for me to take a peek at, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment